Deadly fire in Magill's Trailer Park
A fire in Magill’s Trailer Park killed 79-year-old Frank T. Neidiffer on Saturday, June 20.
Dave Berg, Assistant Chief for the Petersburg Volunteer Fire Department, says he arrived at the scene where police told him an individual might be trapped in the burning trailer. Because of heavy smoke, police didn't enter the structure.
“I didn't consider it safe to enter the building either,” Berg says.
Berg says a neighbor was fighting the fire with a garden hose before two engines and other emergency vehicles arrived at the scene.
A crew was then able to enter the trailer and found Neidiffer unconscious in the kitchen. They attempted CPR before transporting him to the Petersburg Medical Center by ambulance where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
Berg listed evidence of smoking in the bedroom or an overloaded electrical plug strip as possible causes of the fire. Berg adds the trailer didn't have smoke detectors installed.
“That could have been a factor in his death, that he didn't have adequate notification,” Berg says.
Local officials attempted to preserve evidence at the scene in preparation for the State Fire Marshal's Office to conduct an investigation. That investigation is ongoing.