Petersburg Pilot -

Current Petersburg Pilot subscribers! Your print subscription entitles you to complete access to our new comprehensive website.  Contact Pilot staff for help setting up your account. Not yet a Pilot subcriber? Subscribe online now!

Weaver indicted on two counts in explosives case


Mark Weaver, 59, was indicted by a Grand Jury in U.S. District Court on two counts of Possession of Unregistered Destructive Devices in conjunction with an explosion at the Petersburg rock quarry July 13. He was arrested Aug. 27 in Tacoma, Wash.

According to court documents, “Weaver did knowingly possess a destructive device which was not registered to him.” The document also states that Weaver possessed seven hand grenades, which were also unregistered.

The prosecutor Assistant U.S. Attorney Joseph Bottini said, “The first device (in count one) is the device that detonated there at the gravel pit in Petersburg and injured Mr. Weaver. It appears to be something that is what they call an improvised explosive device; it’s something that somebody put together.”

Bottini said the device used in the July 13 explosion was subsequently investigated by those on the scene, including officials from the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).

ATF investigators at the scene identified the explosive material as Tovex—a commercial grade explosive used for blasting in quarries, mines and road construction.

Bottini said the grenades were not used at the scene of the explosion but were found later during the investigation.

“Those (grenades) were found after search warrants were executed,” he said.

Two search warrants were served on the day following the blast to investigate a vehicle and two properties owned by Weaver—a residence on North Nordic and a shop on Cornelius Road.

Bottini said he could not comment further on the evidence at this time.

The charges were filed Aug. 21 and Weaver was arrested Aug. 27 in Tacoma, Wash. by an ATF officer. Weaver had his initial court appearance at the U.S. District Court in Tacoma where he was remanded into custody.

“He’s in the custody of the United States Marshals Service right now,” Bottini said.

Weaver's case will be under the jurisdiction of the U.S. District Court in Juneau. U.S. Marshals will transport Weaver to Juneau at an unknown time in the future and an arraignment proceeding will be scheduled.

“If he is going to seek to be released pending his transfer back here to the district of Alaska, he has to submit to a mental health evaluation and basically be found to be not a danger,” Bottini said.

Weaver faces a penalty of up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $250,000 for each count. Bottini said that many factors are taken into consideration by the court during sentencing including the defendant’s criminal history and the number of explosive devices.

According to municipal court documents, Weaver was convicted of Assault IV Domestic Violence in 2004. Weaver's wife, Pat Weaver, filed for divorce in late June of this year and on July 15 the court issued her a Long Term Protective order against him.


Reader Comments


Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018