Petersburg Pilot -

Current Petersburg Pilot subscribers! Your print subscription entitles you to complete access to our new comprehensive website.  Contact Pilot staff for help setting up your account. Not yet a Pilot subcriber? Subscribe online now!

Weaver pleads guilty; released to Hawaii on bond


Submitted Photo

Mark Weaver

Petersburg resident Mark Weaver, 59, has pled guilty to one of two felony charges brought against him following an explosion last July in the rock quarry behind the airport.

Weaver faced two counts of Possession of Unregistered Destructive Devices, which included Tovex, the commercial-grade explosive used at the scene in an improvised explosive device (IED), and seven hand grenades recovered in a subsequent search of Weaver's property.

The second charge, related to the grenades, will be dropped as part of a plea agreement. Weaver will forfeit the devices to the court.

Following the change of plea hearing on Feb. 5, U.S. District Judge Timothy M. Burgess approved a $25,000 appearance bond for Weaver with specific conditions of release. As part of those conditions, Weaver is not to return to Petersburg. Instead he will be released to Hawaii where he owns property. He is required to wear a GPS tracking device and will be on home detention that restricts him to his residence at all times with a few approved exceptions, including for medical and mental health treatment, which is also court-ordered for Weaver.

Sentencing has been scheduled for June, 15 at noon in Juneau. Weaver faces up to 10 years in prison and up to a $250,000 fine for the charge.

New information has been made publicly available on the case indicating that Weaver's injuries following the July 13 incident were most severe to his hands and arms, according to court documents. While in Seattle he was also treated for injuries to his legs and for lacerations on his face and chest.

According to court documents, the explosion knocked Weaver unconscious for half an hour, after which he drove himself to the Petersburg Medical Center for treatment where he was cooperative in answering questions by Petersburg police officers and ATF officers following the incident.

"Weaver admitted to creating a 1-gallon IED which he claimed was designed to take his own life," according to court documents. He also said he did not intend to injure anyone but himself.

While in Seattle, Weaver told ATF agents that two 5-gallon buckets in his shop containing the explosives had "been there for 30 years or so" and that he'd forgotten they were there until he re-discovered them the morning of the explosion.

Weaver's past criminal record includes a conviction for Assault IV Domestic Violence involving his wife, Pat Weaver, in 2004. Pat Weaver filed for divorce in June 2014 and the court issued her a long term protective order against Mark Weaver last July.


Reader Comments


Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2018