Museum features collected artifacts
July 4, 2019
Experimental Fur Farm operated from 1938-1972
In 1936, Earl N. Ohmer circulated a petition proposing the establishment of an Experimental Fur Farm Station in the Territory. Territorial Senator Henry Roden introduced legislation and the appropriation of $15,000.00, to be matched by the federal government, for the establishment of an Experiential Fur Farm, which passed in 1937. The Experimental Fur Farm on Mitkof Island was established in 1938. Dr. Leekley was the full time biologist in charge of managing the station from 1941 until the station's closure at the end of 1972. Located approximat...