Snapshot from the Past
December 5, 2019
New York Restaurant was located on Sing Lee Alley where Helse is today. From around 1919 to 1927, prior to operating the "Good Eats Cafe and Restaurant" in Wrangell, Sam Nakamoto served as Proprietor of the restaurant and lodgings. Ads in the Petersburg Weekly Report boasted "Everything of the Best of the Season" as well as proximity to the post office. Sam was succeeded by Dick Kuwata as proprietor. By the 1930s, the restaurant became a pool hall and card room, attracting bachelor fishermen and out-of-town fox farmers. The restaurant sign is in the Museum's collection. Photo is courtesy of the Cornelius Family.
Information and photos for this column are provided by the Clausen Memorial Museum.