Artifact Archive: Before our Gymnasium
April 23, 2020
In the 1920s all local basketball games were played in the Sons of Norway Hall. For both players and spectators, "social distancing" was not an option. In 1931 the school board sought approval of a plan to fund a new gymnasium. The city council approved the plan and $7,000 for construction. Both volunteer and paid labor of $6.00 a day helped erect the building. The gym was used by the schools during the day, and local clubs and sports at night.
During WWII, the rooftop was used by Territorial Guardsmen around the clock for spotting potential Japanese planes and ships.
Information and photo...